The original ’67 became one of the most sought-after and widely-used studio microphones of its time, recording a massive collection of some of the most memorable songs of the last 50 years – we’re talking about classic tracks from artists as varied as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Temptations and Nirvana!
The original mics are still sought after, but they can command upwards of $10000 AUD for a pristine unit, putting them far out of reach for most recordists.
Thankfully, Warm Audio has now changed that scenario with the release of the new WA-67! Based around an EF86 pentode tube and having the same smooth and creamy tone of the original, the WA-67 excels at recording just about anything that you put it in front of, and it may immediately become your go-to choice for vocals, guitars, drum toms and overheads, pianos, brass and strings.
EF86 Pentode Tube
The EF-86 tube is well-known in the industry for having characteristics that are consistently flattering to audio sources, and it’s one of the reasons why the original ’67 microphone remains sought after (and why some modern audio manufacturers use it in their own hyper-expensive microphones and preamps). We knew that it was critical to get absolutely right in the WA-67, and we’re thrilled with the results.
- Large diaphragm studio condenser microphone
- Faithful re-creation of the classic ’67-style pentode tube circuit
- EF86 pentode tube for creamy smooth clarity and brilliance
- Custom large-core Swedish Lundahl transformer
- Custom all-brass large K67-style vintage capsule re-creation
- Gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragm, 6 microns thick
- High-bandwidth polystyrene capacitors
- Boutique capacitors from Wima and Solen
- Nickel-plated brass microphone body and headbasket for ultimate acoustic performance
- Premium Swiss Gotham 7-pin tube cable
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Omni, Figure-of-Eight
- Switchable hi-pass filter
- Switchable -10 db pad
- Frequency response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
- Rated impedance: 200 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1kilohms
- Equivalent noise level (A-weighted): 17 dB-A
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 138 dB
- Signal to noise ratio (A-weighted): 78 dB
- Microphone includes: wood box, shockmount, hardmount, power supply, 7-pin mic cable